Upgrade Hyper-V 2008 R2 Core with ServicePack 1

Standard

Today I wanted to install Windows 2008 R2 SP1 on my Hyper-V 2008 R2 Core machine. This machines boots from a VHD on a Flashdisk. So the amount of free space is limited. I had 8GB of free space. On normal Windows 2008R2 server this amount of free space is enough. On my Hyper-V server I got the error that 10GB of free space was needed. Personally I think that’s a lot of space needed for a SP. My main problem was that getting more free space wasn’t a option. So I searched the Internet and found that the extra space was needed for the installed languages. When you uninstall these packs the amount of needed disk space goes to 7,5GB. For me enough!

So I did the following steps to complete the installation of SP1:

1. Start ‘lpksetup’ to uninstall the additional Languages. I only need the English one so I uninstalled all the other ones. ( Duration: 6 Hours)

2. Start the SP1 installer and install the SP. (Duration: more than 12 hours)

It’s that simple!!

 

SCCM 2007 R2 SP2: PXE Error (PXE-T04: Access violation)

Standard

Today I had a very strange PXE error at a customer site. Recently I installed I fresh SCCM 2007 environment and we are now in the process of configuring this environment. Today we started with configuring PXE. At the Customer site they use a Linux DHCP server serving the clients. At the DHCP server we made the following exclusion:

filename "/SMSBoot/x86/wdsnbp.com"; 
next-server ;

 After we started the client we run into the following error:

PXE-T04: Access violation. 
PXE-E36: Error received from TFTP server

After getting this error we connected from a other client station to the SCCM Server via TFTP and tried to download wdsnbp.com file. At this client we got also the same error. When we replaced the “/” with “” it works from the client site. But when booting from PXE the error still comes. I searched on the Internet and was pointed in the right direction. I changed the following Register Key/Value on the SCCM Server:

Original:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesWDSServerProvidersWDSTFTP] 
ReadFilter=
boot*
tmp*
SMSBoot*
SMSTemp*
SMSImages*

Changed to:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesWDSServerProvidersWDSTFTP] 
ReadFilter=
boot*
tmp*
SMSBoot*
SMSTemp*
SMSImages*
/boot/*
/tmp/*
/SMSBoot/*
/SMSTemp/*
/SMSImages/*

As final step I restarted the WDS Server service and the problem was Solved. So the problem was the way Linux is slashing file paths. I hope that this information helps people to solve this kind of problems. The article which pointed me in the right direction can be found here.